Landlord FAQs, frequently asked questions

Welcome to frequently asked questions (FAQs) for landlords.

Landlord FAQs:

Why choose West Midlands Lettings?

Choose West Midlands Lettings for find tenants lettings service in order to reduce void periods, maximise rent and to benefit from our tenant waiting list (Find Tenants Fast Service).

Our property management service ensures that your property is looked after and kept within legal requirements. Sell your property with us to benefit from our purchaser waiting list, location, networks, portal advertising and choice of estate agency or auction service.

Do I need find tenant only or property management service?

If you only need a tenant for your property and after which you’ll collect the rent, renew the tenancy, carry out inspections, arrange contractors for maintenance, etc,  for yourself then you only require a find tenant only service.

What is the cost to find a tenant?

The landlord fee to find a tenant differs between using the lettings only service and the property management service. Please refer to landlord fees.

How much will property management cost?

Property management costs 8% monthly commission. Landlords with more than one property benefit from 6% monthly commission charged on subsequent properties.

What’s required to advertise the property for rent?

An EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) is required to advertise property to rent. An EPC informs the tenant of the current energy efficiency of the property and gives recommendations for the landlord to improve the property.  A copy of this certificate is to be given to the tenant at move in or on tenancy renewal after October 2015.

The certificate is valid for 10 years so unless you have carried out work to improve the energy efficiency rating, there is no need to for a new certificate during that time. Effective 1st April 2018, there will be a requirement for any properties rented out in the private rented sector to have a minimum energy performance rating of E on an EPC.

Required before the tenant occupies the property is a GasSafe Inspection and Certificate and smoke alarms to each floor of the property.

GasSafe inspections are to be completed annually and as of October 2015 it is a legal requirement to give the tenant a copy of this certificate at move in or at renewal of tenancies after this date.

Smoke alarms are to be tested at move in after which the tenant is responsible to check during the tenancy.

Carbon monoxide alarms are required for properties with high risk rooms, such as, those where a solid fuel heating system is installed.

The above requirements are governed by the Deregulation Act 2015. Please read how the the Deregulation Act 2015 affects the validity of  a Section 21 Notice.

Where will the property be advertised?

Properties are advertised via well known property portals including Zoopla, Primelocation, OnTheMarket, Independent, etc, as well as our own PC and mobile sites. Due to our property matching service, you may be able to find tenants before advertising.

Who does the viewings?

Viewing can be accompanied or we can conduct viewings at the property on your behalf. A copy of the keys will be required.

What is my responsibility during the tenancy?

Tenants and landlords responsibility are outlined in the tenancy agreements. Landlords are responsible for property maintenance during the tenancy.

Tenants are responsible for all bills at the property.  If you let a shared accommodation, the bills are usually included in the rent so be mindful of this in the rent figure.

What happens to tenant deposits?

Deposits are collected from all tenants unless landlords instruct otherwise. Deposits collected for find tenant only service is forwarded to the landlord to lodge in a tenancy deposit scheme.

Deposits collected for properties we manage are lodged with a government approved tenancy deposit scheme at no further cost to the landlord. We handle the release and any potential disputes at the end of tenancy.

What is the property Inventory costs?

There is no cost for an inventory. A move in property inventory is standard for both our find tenants only and property management service.

When do landlords receive rent?

Landlords receive rent based on the start date of the tenancy. For managed properties, this will be advised in your managed agreement.

When can a Service Notice Requiring Possession be served?

A notice requiring possession cannot be served within the first 4 months of a tenancy. We serve notice requiring possession on the landlord’s behalf as part of our property management service.

Who carries out exit inventories?

We carry out exit inventories for properties we manage. Landlords who want to attend the exit inventory can do so by informing us of this request so that we can attempt to arrange a convenient time for both tenant and landlord.

This ends our landlord FAQs. If there are any queries not addressed above, please contact us at 01215255930 or via our online talk service at the bottom of your screen.